The architecture of Sutter Hospital was described as "Spanish Renaissance" type with ornamental iron work and elaborate frieze work. The "S" medallion over the entrance is now located at the patio entry to the Richard B. Buhler Building, site of the original Sutter Hospital.
Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento enjoys a rich heritage of community support, which dates back to its beginnings in the early twentieth century.
In the wake of the devastating flu epidemic of 1918, Sacramento doctors and civic leaders came together to build a new hospital to meet the city's critical need for medical services.
The year was 1923 and for Sacramento, it marked the opening of Sutter Hospital at 28th & L Streets, on December 3. This undertaking took vision, strength of purpose, and an abiding faith in the community.
Sutter's founders were looking toward the future when they envisioned this gleaming new hospital for Sacramento. Through their vision, one of California's finest hospitals was established in its capital city, a monument to community pride that quickly became a symbol of quality health care throughout the region.
In 1937, Sutter was the first hospital in California and only the second west of the Mississippi to operate a "satellite hospital" with the opening of Sutter Maternity Hospital at 52nd and F Streets in Sacramento.
The Board of Trustees in 1980 launched its first comprehensive strategic planning process, involving medical staff, administration, health care planners and community members.
The Sutter Associates (now known as Sutter Medical Center Foundation) formalized fund-raising activities by incorporating as a separate, charitable 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with its own community-based, volunteer Board of Trustees in 1982.
Community members, physicians and employees kicked off an ambitious capital fund-raising campaign started by employees, physicians and community leaders with a goal of raising $4 million to support the reconstruction, renovation and relocation of Sutter General Hospital, Sutter Memorial Hospital and psychiatric services, respectively. Groundbreaking ceremonies marked the beginning of the massive building and renovation project, with completion expected by October 1986.
Occupying a full city block, the 450,000 square foot, 299-bed Sutter General Hospital, opened in 1987, was described as "a gleaming hospital of the future." Its architecture reflected the design of its neighbor-Sutter's Fort-Sacramento's oldest surviving structure and the site of the area's first medical facility.
Sutter Center for Psychiatry, a freestanding psychiatric hospital, opened in May 1988.
Sutter Community Hospitals changed its name in 1998 to Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento, which includes Sutter General Hospital, Sutter Memorial Hospital and Sutter Center for Psychiatry.
The Friedman Education Center became a reality in 1998 at the Sutter Cancer Center through a generous gift from Mr. and Mrs. Morton Friedman, who are committed to making quality health education available to the community. The endowment supports excellent medical care, which plays a vital role in maintaining a strong community, according to Mr. Friedman, a local attorney and developer.
The Richard B. Buhler Building, located on the site of the "old" Sutter General Hospital and connected via "skywalk" across L Street to the "new" Sutter, opened in 1989. It was named in recognition of Mr. Buhler for his dedication to and leadership of Sutter Community Hospitals and Sutter Health. Buhler accepted Chairmanship of the hospitals' Board of Trustees during the most difficult period in its history, in the late 1970s. With high principles, pragmatic views, consistent candor and diplomacy, he persevered and nurtured into an exciting life one of Sacramento's most valued community assets. The building stands as a permanent expression of appreciation from those of who know, respect and cherish him.
The Ranells Family Specialty Clinic was named in December 2000 to honor real estate entrepreneurs and dance aficionados Frank and Joan Ranells for establishing the Ranells Family Endowment for Cancer. The endowment provides ongoing support for cancer programs and research at the Sutter Cancer Center.
In 2000, Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento initiated a three-phase Master Plan. Phase I called for expanding the Emergency Department and Pharmacy at Sutter General Hospital. Phase II was to update the appearance of Sutter Memorial in 2001. Phase III, planned for the future, will move Sutter Memorial Hospital's services to the Sutter General Hospital campus.
In February 2005, the family of the late Fred Anderson, founder of Pacific Coast Building Products, Inc., announced that it will contribute $18 million to Sutter Medical Center Foundation for construction of the Anderson Lucchetti Women's and Children's Center. This contribution ranks as the single largest gift from an individual family to a capital campaign in the greater Sacramento area. It also creates the cornerstone for funding a new Sutter Medical Center Midtown Campus.
Looking Toward the Future
Following a multi-year design, review and construction process, the new maternal-child hospital will open in early 2014. Across the street, the remodeled Sutter General Hospital will provide the latest treatment for adult cardiovascular, orthopedic, spine, neuroscience, cancer, transplant, medical/surgical and outpatient surgery services. At that time, Sutter Memorial Hospital will be closed to acute care services.
Sacramento's population and borders have exploded during the past 80 years and medical knowledge and technology have increased exponentially, but the motivations of Sutter's founders have remained the same. A commitment to knowing what people need, to providing the most advanced health care possible, and to meeting the future head-on: That has been the Sutter tradition since 1923.