Main content

    Visionary Philanthropists
    Sutter Medical Center Foundation

    Anderson Lucchetti Family | Isabella M. Cowell Sutter Medical Center Endowment Trust | Ose Adams Family | Setzer Family | Teichert Family

    Return to "Our Expansion Plans" | Return to "News Room"


    Anderson Lucchetti Family Biography

    Like thousands of other Northern California families, the family of Fred Anderson was literally born into a relationship with Sutter Health.

    Four generations of Andersons began life at Sutter hospitals, starting with Fred Anderson himself, and his wife, Patricia Anderson. Since then, their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren have been born at Sutter Health hospitals and relied on Sutter for quality, lifelong health care.

    The Anderson family's roots to the Sacramento region grow deep as well. Fred Anderson married Patricia Fuller in 1944. They lived on Cutter Way in Sacramento until 1958, when they moved to a ranch in Wilton. There, they raised five children: Chris, Jim, Carol, John and Cathy.

    Fred Anderson worked hard to turn a small business into an American success story. In 1953 he opened Anderson Lumber, a one-yard, one-store operation at 65th and S streets in Sacramento. Today, that small start has grown into Pacific Coast Building Products, a thriving regional corporation that employs more than 3,500 people and maintains more than 75 locations across the 10 western states and Canada.

    Anderson's daughter, Chris, married Dave Lucchetti in 1968 and the couple has three children, Megan, Ryan and Leah and three grandchildren. Starting a career as a high school teacher, Dave was later hired in 1970 by Anderson Lumber Company, which later became a division of Pacific Coast Building Products, Inc.

    A year later Dave moved to the corporate office, and in 1979 he became President and Chief Operating Officer. Along with other members of the Anderson family, Dave led and participated in the exciting growth of the company during the next 20 years.

    Over the years, Fred's sons and daughters have raised families of their own - and continued his legacy of community participation, hard work and especially giving back to the people of the Sacramento region.

    Jim Anderson has one son, Sean, and two grandchildren. He has been married to his wife Jackie for 20 years. They support many nonprofits in the Sacramento area, including the River Oaks Child Development Center. Carol Ward has three children: Erin, Taylor and Billy and one granddaughter. She is currently showing cutting horses across the country. Carol has supported many young horse enthusiasts with scholarship opportunities.

    John Anderson has two daughters and one stepson - Brianne, Kristen and Michael. He is married to Margaret Anderson and has been involved in youth sports activities in Sacramento for many years.

    Cathy Harris has four children, Michelle, Michael, Katie and Kevin, and twin grand children. She and her husband, Keith, own a successful hunter and jumper show barn and support many local youth sports and educational programs in their community.

    For the family, and for Dave through his leadership at Pacific Coast Building Supply, Fred Anderson's success has allowed all of them to express an ongoing commitment to helping the children of the Sacramento region.

    Dave has been involved in many fundraising campaigns for the local nonprofit community. In 2001 he served as honorary co-chair for Sacramento Children's Receiving Home Capital Campaign and is currently serving as honorary co-chair of Sierra Adoption Services and the Jesuit High School Capital Campaigns.

    He shares this philanthropic spirit with employees of Pacific Coast Building Products (PCBP), who are encouraged to volunteer in their own communities.

    Over the years, PCPB has sponsored a wide variety of events, such as the American Lung Association of Sacramento-Emigrant Trails' Bike Trek, Sacramento Neighborhood Housing Services' Paint the Town event, many walk-a-thons and a multitude of fundraiser galas. In 1999, Pacific Coast Building Products created the PCPB Foundation, a permanent endowment for charity. Soon afterward, the PCPB Foundation made a $1 million gift to the Sacramento Regional Foundation, among the largest gifts ever donated to the organization, and one that was doubled by the donation of another $1 million the following year.

    Since then, the PCPB Foundation has contributed to a wide variety of youth-oriented nonprofits, including the Make-A-Wish Foundation, Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Sacramento, Sierra Adoption Services, Sacramento's Ronald McDonald House, the WIND Youth Center, Friends For Kids and the Sacramento Children's Receiving Home.
    The $18 million contribution to Sutter Health to create the Anderson Lucchetti Women's and Children's Center carries special significance because it is coming directly from the Anderson and Lucchetti families, and the families' holdings.

    "By far, this is the largest contribution we have ever made," said Dave Lucchetti. "We wanted to create something that would benefit all families in our region, particularly children. When built, that is what this women's and children's center will accomplish. We could think of no better way to acknowledge our family's wonderful past in this region than to enable Sutter Health to give other families the care they will need to experience a wonderful future."


    Isabella M. Cowell Sutter Medical Center Endowment Trust | return to top

    The Cowell family has a long history of making a difference to communities throughout Northern California. The family’s roots began in San Francisco and Santa Cruz in 1849, where, over time, Henry Cowell founded several successful storage, cargo, lime and cement businesses. Oftentimes concentrating on the welfare of their employees and surrounding communities, the Cowell family’s involvement naturally expanded into charitable endeavors across Northern California.

    They underwrote the construction of the Ernest V. Cowell Student Health Center at the University of California, Berkeley; provided scholarships to students from Santa Cruz to attend University of California campuses; and created a San Francisco earthquake relief fund in 1906.

    Isabella M. Cowell continued her family’s tradition of giving. She and her sister, Helen, built the Lighthouse for the Blind building in San Francisco; donated an art and jade collection to the M.H. De Young Museum and the California Palace of the Legion of Honor in San Francisco; and donated a home to the aged.

    Even after her death, Ms. Cowell wanted to continue helping the community. In 1951, the Cowell Trust was established. To date, it has provided medical benefits to youth in Sacramento County and 27 other Northern California counties.

    In 1951, the Cowell Trust allocated $450,000 as a permanent endowment fund to Sutter Hospital, which was used to pay for hospital treatment and care for children unable to pay for their own medical care. Through the years, the permitted uses of the endowment were expanded to provide more assistance to needy Sacramento children.

    This year, the Cowell Trust is giving a $1 million gift toward funding the construction of the Anderson Lucchetti Women’s and Children’s Center, which will serve as a premier medical facility for expectant mothers and their babies and house Sutter’s nationally recognized pediatrics programs.

    The Cowell Trust is honored to provide this gift to Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento and views it as a tribute to Ms. Cowell, the Cowell family and their goal to make a positive impact in the lives of Northern California children.


    Ose Adams Family Biography | return to top

    Growing up on an Iowa farm, Mr. Enlow Ose decided that he wanted to pursue a college degree rather than stay in the family farming business. He became the first in his family to graduate from college and earned a mechanical and general engineering degree from Iowa State University.

    Ms. Melena Adams was the daughter of a country doctor in middle Tennessee. The family, led by Melena's mother, provided support services for the hospital. Inspired by her early exposure to health-related issues, she went on to attend Iowa State University, where she received a degree in foods and nutrition and became a dietitian.

    Mr. Ose and Ms. Adams were campus leaders at Iowa State University and their participation in campus activities drew them together. They married in 1947 and moved to Anderson, Indiana where Mr. Ose started his engineering career with Delco Remy, a division of General Motors.

    After eight years and the arrivals of daughters Margaret, Mary and Susan, the Oses sought a better life elsewhere. With encouragement from Mrs. Adams Ose's sister and brother-in-law, Alfred and Ruth Holland, they left Anderson for Sacramento, California, where Mr. Holland predicted great real estate opportunities in the area. Three months after the Oses arrived in Sacramento, son Douglas was born at Sutter Memorial Hospital at 52nd and F streets.

    Mr. Ose embarked on a new career with the commercial real estate firm, Coldwell Banker (now CB Richard Ellis) after arriving in the capital city. Meanwhile, Mrs. Adams Ose was fully occupied with the children and their education, as well as forming a network of friends within the new community.

    In 1960, Mr. Ose left Coldwell Banker to open his own real estate firm. Within a year, the Oses purchased property at 28th and O streets, and built an office building for the California State Department of Mental Hygiene. Development of other offices, homes and condominiums followed, which made Mr. Ose a leader in providing structure for growth in the Sacramento area.

    Sacramento remains the home base for the Ose family. In fact, all but one of the Ose children, grandchildren and great grandchildren live, work or go to school in Sacramento. Margaret (Margie) Campbell and her husband, William (Bill), develop and manage multi-purpose recreation clubs; Mary is a builder; Susan is pursuing a master's degree in communication studies at California State University, Sacramento; Douglas (Doug) is a retired U.S. congressman and real estate investor, and his wife Lynnda (Sam), is a medical transcriptionist.

    The Oses' love for the Sacramento community has inspired them to support many charitable causes that enhance and enrich the community. They have been board members or active supporters of many organizations, including Sacramento Region Community Foundation, KVIE Channel 6, Crocker Art Museum Foundation, Capital Public Radio, Sacramento Rotary Club and Fremont Church. The Oses, wanting to foster the growth of philanthropy in the area, were early supporters of Sacramento Region Community Foundation. Through the Foundation, they created an Endowment for the Arts that has given annual grants to arts organizations for 20 years.

    The Oses believe quality health care can make a tremendous difference to any community - and that Sutter's hospital project will undoubtedly enhance health care services offered in Sacramento. "Sutter has a long history of providing quality care," Mrs. Adams Ose said. "Sutter always asks 'How can we be better?' even though they are already leaders in applying technology into patient diagnosis and care."

    "This expansion project meets all the criteria for medical care that can comprehensively benefit the community. Local residents will not have to travel elsewhere to receive exceptional care, specialty or otherwise, because it will be available here at Ose Adams Medical Pavilion.

    "We are honored to work with Sutter and the community-at-large to make this project a reality, which will improve the quality of life for residents in the Sacramento region."


    Setzer Family Biography | return to top

    The Setzer family firmly established its roots in the Sacramento area when Curt Setzer, father of Hardie and Cal Setzer, established Setzer Forest Products in 1927. This company is a leading industry provider of moulding and millwork products that Hardie's sons, Mark and Scott, and Cal's son, Jeff, now operate.

    Since the company's inception, the Setzer family's commitment to the Sacramento community has grown substantially and led to the creation of the Setzer Foundation, where Mr. Hardie Setzer is Chief Executive Officer. The Foundation supports health issues, local schools, children's charities, the arts and other philanthropic efforts that include the Boys and Girls Club, Sacramento Children's Home, the Children's Receiving Home, the renovation of the historic Stanford Mansion, Crocker Art Museum, Sacramento Opera Association and the Sacramento Ballet and Light Opera Association.

    Now 87, Mr. Setzer has commented that his first priority is to make a difference in the Sacramento community that has given so much to him and his family. The same philosophy applied when the Foundation provided its gift to Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento.

    As long as they have made Sacramento their home, the family has received its medical care primarily from Sutter hospitals and physicians. In fact, all of the Setzer children were born at Sutter Memorial Hospital at 52nd and F streets. "The Setzer Foundation is honored to contribute to Sutter Health's long-term vision," said Scott Setzer, co-president of Setzer Forest Products and new managing partner of the Foundation. "We feel this expansion will enhance an already state-of the-art hospital that is close and convenient to the community. In turn, Sutter will offer more helpful services that will make a difference in the lives of local families."


    Teichert Family Biography | return to top

    The Teichert family has a long history in the Sacramento area that has strengthened and enriched the community. Adolph Teichert created Teichert, Inc. in 1887, a construction company that helped build the Sacramento region. Through the years, the company expanded its services as well as its activism within the community. For decades, the firm has reached out to the community to enhance the quality of life through charitable contributions.

    Long understanding their social responsibility, the Teichert legacy continues with the company’s creation of Teichert Foundation. Created in 1990 by Adolph Teichert’s great-grandson, Fred Teichert, Teichert Foundation is an expression of the importance Teichert places on being a good corporate citizen in all regions where the company does business.

    Teichert Foundation has made numerous contributions to the Sacramento community. It invested $1 million in the Boys & Girls Club facility in south Sacramento that opened in 2004. Teichert Foundation also matched community donations up to $175,000 per year for five years to support operations.

    Mr. Teichert also personally invests his time in several different local organizations including serving as a Youth Council Member for Sacramento Youth Works; Chief Financial Officer for the LEED Executive Committee; Board Trustee for the Center for Youth Citizenship; Board Director for Communities in School of Sacramento, Inc.; President of Sacramento Rotary; and supporter of the Sacramento Asian Sports Foundation. His dedication and hard work has been recognized by the Sacramento Metro Chamber of Commerce when they named him the Sacramentan of the Year. He also received a Distinguished Service Award from the California State University, Sacramento Alumni Association in 2002.