Preparing for Surgery
Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento
The day of surgery can be filled with anticipation and anxiety. In order for your procedure to go as smoothly as possible, please observe the following guidelines:
- Have any laboratory tests that have been ordered be taken no later than the day before surgery. Most of these tests can be completed at Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento.
- Stop smoking 24 hours before surgery.
- If you are scheduled for same day surgery, please arrange for a responsible adult to take you directly home after surgery. Under no circumstances can you drive yourself home or take public transportation home. If you do not have transportation, your surgery will be rescheduled. If someone drops you off, it is important that your ride leaves a phone number, cell phone number or pager number so we have the ability to contact them.
- It is highly suggested that that you have someone stay with you at home for the first 24 hours.
- Notify your physician of any illness or cold within one week of your surgery.
- An RN from our Pre-Op Unit will call you to review these instructions, confirm your arrival time at Sutter Medical Center, answer your questions and gather other pre-registration information.
- If you have not received a call within 24 hours of your scheduled surgery/procedure please call us at:
Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento - (916) 887-4360
Monday through Friday 9am– 7pm