Preparing for Your Procedure or Surgery
Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento
Thank you for choosing Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento for your upcoming procedure or surgery.
The steps below will help you pre-register and prepare.
You can complete your registration process online, using the links below. Completing the form should take you 10-15 minutes. You will need your insurance information.
Please choose the Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento campus location where you are going to have your surgery, and click on the "register online" link below it.
Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento
Sutter Capitol Pavilion
2725 Capitol Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95816
(916) 262-9323 (Main Number)
Register Online - Sutter Capitol Pavilion
A nurse will contact you to assess your health status. This interview will take approximately 30 minutes of your time.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have not received a call from us within 24 hours of your scheduled surgery, please call:
Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento: (916) 887-4360
Sutter Capitol Pavilion: (916) 262-9323
Monday - Friday 8 am to 5 pm (excluding holidays)
You may call us for any other questions you may have about the registration process or your hospital stay at (916) 978-8000 and a pre-registrar will return your call.
The day of surgery is filled with anticipation and anxiety. Finding your way and waiting for surgery contribute to the stress. Once surgery is underway, time seems to pass slowly as family and friends wonder about the outcome. Our surgery waiting areas are equipped with a display monitor showing a patient's progress through the procedure from pre-operative to recovery. A poster on the wall near the monitor describes how to read the monitor so families can always know where their family member is as the surgery progresses from pre op to recovery.
Please plan to arrive at least 2 hours in advance of your scheduled surgery time. The following information will provide you with directions, a better understanding of the process and why we ask you to arrive early on the day of surgery.
Finding Your Way Around
- Sutter Memorial Hospital: If parking on the street, enter through the front doors and follow the signs to ACU Registration. If utilizing hospital parking follow the signs to visitor parking in the back of the hospital. The hospital entrance will be to the right of the Emergency room and is marked with a sign. Follow the signs to ACU Registration.
- Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento: Park in Lot B and enter the Anderson Lucchetti Women’s & Children’s Center to find Patient Registration in the main lobby.
- Sutter Capitol Pavilion: Take the main elevator to the 2nd Floor of Sutter Capitol Pavilion.
Waiting for Surgery/Procedure
Patients are asked to arrive at least two hours in advance of their scheduled time for several important reasons:
- It could take up to 40 minutes to get you ready for surgery. First, a nurse will review your paperwork and chart to ensure that everything is in order. Your doctor also might have ordered additional testing to be completed before your surgery/procedure. Then a nurse will evaluate you/your child's physical condition and have you change into a gown. The next step is to establish intravenous access on adults and children over the age of 7 (our nurses are experts at this).
- Occasionally, procedures take less time than anticipated; in which case we will be able to move up the time of your surgery. If that should occur, it is important that the preliminary steps have been completed.
Staying ahead of schedule whenever possible provides a cushion of time for the surgical team to accommodate the inevitable, occasional delays and still be on time for patients scheduled after you. For example, if you came an hour early and the patient before you came late you could go first and this would not delay the procedure for patients who were scheduled after you.
We take your scheduled surgical time seriously and fully intend to honor that schedule. Experience has taught us, however, that it is wise to regard the scheduled surgical time as flexible. This means that your surgery could be performed early if a prior surgery took less time than planned or it could be late if the prior surgery ran late.
We will keep you informed. Most surgeries occur within 30 minutes before or after the scheduled time. We consider surgery to be “late” if you wait 45 minutes after the scheduled time. We realize that this can be difficult for you and are committed to updating you regularly.
Your comfort and well-being are very important to us. Please let us know if there is any other information we can provide.
Parents/guardians can accompany their children to the pre-op area. We provide support for our pediatric clients through our "Child Life Department". Learn More about our Child Life department
You will receive instructions for your post-surgery home care before you leave the hospital. Be sure to follow these instructions, and consult with your physician if you have questions.
Sutter Medical Center Sacramento is a not-for-profit organization and we recognize that medical bills can be unexpected. The financial counselor/ pre-registration representative will make arrangements for payment and/or will provide information on financial assistance programs offered by Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento including our Charity Care program and eligibility requirements. Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento also offers discounts for uninsured patients who will be paying for procedures and tests. We are able to provide an estimate of the charges within an expected range. Estimates are provided within four to five working days of the request.
For questions, you may contact the pre-registration representative at (916) 978-8000 by following the prompts.
Confidentiality of information is strictly enforced.
For specific information on our financial assistance program, please call (800) 353-3369 for an information packet and application. Please be aware that we frequently approve financial assistance prior to providing services as well as after services are rendered.